background

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Wedding Post

I figured the first post in this blog might as well showcase the work that I've done over the past year, aaannndd that means the wedding. My husband and I tied the knot on June 4th (might I add that this was just 2 weeks after we graduated from the University of Kansas) talk about a busy/crazy stressful time of our lives!

We had a traditional Christian ceremony held at Baldwin First United Methodist Church in Baldwin City, KS.
My handsome hubby and I! (Photo credits go to Patrick Binder- an awesome photographer whom I highly recommend!)


 Like I mentioned our ceremony was very traditional, and God was definitely the center of the ceremony... however I'd like to think that our reception was not just a run-of-the-mill celebration. First off, we were lucky to have family that owns beautiful property in Baldwin- we call it "Leonard Lake" even though it only hosts a few small ponds. The land is absolutely country perfect, so decorating was not an overwhelming task as some empty reception halls can be.. however we still managed to spend more than 30 total hours searching through different antique shops looking for the perfect accessories...

We were taking a major risk by hosting an outdoors wedding (especially in Kansas- where it could be snowy and then 80 degrees the next day...) but there is something enchanting about white tents on a beautiful green landscape:



Which leads me to the first "project" of the wedding: notice the white globes above us? They turned out beautiful- and was a cheap (think under $10) and EASY decoration to make.

Materials: Balloons, String- We used Yarn, Glue
Directions: Blow up the 'bloons to different sizes, and start loosely wrapping the string around the balloon, once you've reached desired coverage, cover the string with the glue.
(Image borrowed from original blog post- at ruffledblog.com (A HUGE INSPIRATION DURING OUR ENTIRE WEDDING PROCESS)

Make sure to allow the glue to dry for at least 24 hours before popping the balloon, allowing the shape to 'set'.

And violá, thus was one of our simple, but impacting decoration:

More projects from the wedding included monogrammed burlap table runners, painting our own mason jars (those blue vintage ones are expensive! considering we wanted one on every table for the flowers, we opted for dying our own cheap clear ones the right hue of blue.)

       

Our wedding reception was unique, complete with activities for our guests, including croquet, badmitton, horseshoes, and other vintage games..




We even got in on the action  (:



(I totally won, even in the heavy dress..take that, my always athletic husband!)

I'll wrap up this post with just a few more pictures of the details that I loved most (: 


Our typewriter guestbook


Our delicious cake! From André's on the plaza

 And the children of the reception's favorite part: Our candy bar (: 
Overall the day was a huge success! But the best part of all was having my husband by my side and celebrating our union with friends and family. Love you, Grayson!



No comments:

Post a Comment